Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tough Times

They haven't hit our family, but it is all around us. I am not trying to be pessimistic, but rather realistic...and prepared, because you never know. I am trying to live more simply, to question if I need something. Most of the time, I can do without or manufacture it out of what I have. In my grandparents day they didn't have nearly all the accomodations we have, not even indoor plumbing and they managed, with little, and I might add were very happy. I challenge myself to go one more day without going to the grocery store, and make a meal out of what I have on hand...and then I go one more day. I try not to leave the house on the weekends....it is so cold now, that one is easy. We don't eat out, if we do it is rarely...we don't go to the movies. We drive to work, unfortunately. My work is a little further than I can walk in the winter time, or ride my bike. In the spring and summer I can start up again. Try for a few days a week. I don't eat out at work, and I take my snacks; apples, nuts, cheerios. I drink water out of the cooler. I am always looking for ways to make money, and the best way I have found is, to not spend it right now. *A penny saved IS a penny earned*. I know there are many more ways to cut; cable, phone, internet, ect...but we choose to cut other things first, knowing we can always cut deeper. I plan to keep putting money away...they say six months wages....this is a goal, as is my one credit card to pay off....when that is paid, IF I use it, it WILL be paid off the same month. Credit card companys aren't going to keep getting my money in interest anymore. I am going to increase my direct depost into savings accounts also...I find after awhile I manage on a smaller paycheck...and I don't concern myself with the growing saving accounts, I know they are there...but they are **hands off**. Pay yourself first, and adjust to the smaller paycheck, you can adapt.

No comments: